U-Pick Apples In Suffolk County Long Island 2012
(This was written in 2012, please check directly with the farms to confirm they are continuing this event)
Apples, apples, and more apples. It’s that colorful time of the year here in Suffolk County Long Island as Apple Season approaches. So take your pick of the many varieties now available at these U-Pick Farms. Please call ahead before visiting any orchard and confirm their hours of operation.
- 2,500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States.
- 7,500 varieties of apples are grown throughout the world.
- 100 varieties of apples are grown commercially in the United States.
- Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit.
- Apples harvested from an average tree can fill 20 boxes that weigh 42 pounds each.
- The largest apple picked weighed three pounds.
- It takes the energy from 50 leaves to produce one apple.
- It takes about 36 apples to create one gallon of apple cider.